Since I have a few followers that are not local let me say it was not by choice to not be able to cook the past month. The Wednesday after Thanksgiving I fell ill. Thinking it was a bad piece of pizza from a warehouse store I trudged on. Big Mistake! That Friday night I was admitted to the hospital with a serious intestinal & a good deal of lost blood, Saturday followed with several not so fun procedures. Finally on Monday I was allowed to come home on a strict promise to stay in bed and take some wonderful antibiotics. I wish I had stayed in bed instead I took my daughter to gymnastics against my hubby’s advice. The next 2 days I could not leave my bed without assistance. That weekend a chest cold took hold and by the next weekend I had pneumonia once again. Finally, I have recovered! Some days I still struggle with energy and eating, we are getting there though. I’m still me just a little paler & thinner.
My wonderful husband until the past week cooked every meal washed every dish and fulfilled both of our roles in the home while work 60+ hours a week from home. He is amazing to say the least. Tonight I am cooking him one of his favorite meals to make up for this past month although I will never be able to Thank him enough. I also have some pretty amazing neighbors who took care of our girl while I was in the hospital and continued to help my family in every way they could.
Braised Pork with Maple Apple Pear Sauce
- 2 lb Pork Roast ( I have tried every pork roast there is they all work well)
- 2 Bartlett Pears peeled and cut into 8ths
- 2 Granny Smith Apples peeled and cut into 8ths
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Riesling ( tonight I have Moscato on hand so Moscato I go)
- 1TBSP Maple Syrup
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Heat oven to 280 Degrees
- Salt and pepper pork set aside
- Heat EVVO in Dutch Oven on med hi heat
- Sear pork on either side till it releases and has a pretty brown crust on each side
- Remove pork set it aside
- Add in apples and pears
- brown apples & pears
- Mix the other ingredients together except for the butter and pour over the apple & pears stir scraping up and bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Lay pork across the apples and pears
- slice butter and lay on top of pork
- Place cover on the pan. Place in oven for 1 hour turn roast then return to oven and roast until tender another 60-90 minutes
- Remove from oven place roast apples and pears into a serving dish
- Simmer liquid down over med heat into a glaze pour over pork
- Let roast rest 5 minutes before slicing.
Tonight I am serving this with roasted dutch potatoes thinly sliced and seasoned with butter & herbs.
Roasted Paper Taters
- 1 pound thinly sliced Dutch potatoes or fingerlings ( use my food processor for this job)
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 TBSP fresh minced parsley
- 1 TBSP fresh minced oregano
- Heat oven to 375 I do use a convection oven
- Line jelly roll pan with parchment paper
- Melt butter add herbs
- In a bowl salt potatoes then add herb butter coating all the taters evenly
- Lay in 1 even layer on papered pan
- Roast until golden brown and crispy about 30-35 minutes
- Try not to eat all of them before you get to the table
In everything that happened I had just accepted some cooking jobs and was going to start my Personal Chef business back up. Currently that is now on hold until I feel comfortable with my health. Since June I have done 12 rounds of antibiotics and a few other nice medications to complement them. As much as I want to and am hopeful that one day I can return to the kitchen full time right now is not the time for that. For now I will continue spoiling my family, neighbors, and friends.